One of the biggest threats we face today comes in pill form. The opioid epidemic is now affecting every state in the country. But it’s not a typical crime issue; this is a crisis born of human pain and suffering and requires a unique approach. I am taking bold new steps to this solve this unprecedented problem by:
Continue to Shrinking Government
- Declaring a statewide public health emergency in South Carolina, allowing us to bring the full power of the state’s infrastructure and resources to bear – as a single team – upon the growing epidemic of opioid deaths, addiction, and abuse.
- Signing into law legislation requiring education, expanded access to anti-overdose medication, stricter prescription limits and much more.
- Hosting two annual opioid summits to solicit input from stakeholders across the spectrum of law enforcement, health care and state and local agencies.
- Developing the “South Carolina Opioid Emergency Response Plan” to provide for better coordination among state agencies and define the goals – and roles – for each of them.
- Pushing for legislation requiring education, expanded access to anti-overdose medication, stricter prescription limits and much more.